Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Advertising and Materiality

<
Being a Fiction Writing Major I have to find literary magazines that can publish my stories. There are long lists of magazines that cater to different genre's of writing: Fantasy, Science Fiction, Horror, Mystery, Romance Creative non-fiction, and Magical Realism. Online magazines are extremely popular due to the fact that editors don't have to pay a large amount of money to have them printed and distributed. Some magazines are both published and have their own website, which gives the editor an edge, since writers can submit through email or mail their work the old fashion way.
There are risks when writing for Online Media, you have to advertise your work in an effective way, in order to make a profit. As always readers are drawn to a vivid image and catcthy titles or quotes that make them want to view the magazine. You have to take your audience into consideration. If you pick a paticular genre to focus on means that rules have to be set: Does the writer's story fit the theme/genre? What's my cut off date for submissions? How can I reach a boarder audience? Do the readers even understand the Culture behind the genre? What time frame is my magazine sold, bi-monthy or just seasonal? These questions are crucial, in having a successful online magazine.

The Magazine "Realms of Fantasy' is one of my favorite magazines to read. The editors even accept art submissions, since each story picked for that month's issue gets to have a drawing from of scene of their story.It also advertises stores for fantasy junkies as well as books from already famous published authors. The website offers excerpts of stories to intise people into buying a magazine. Though Realms of Fantasy has been a popular magazine for 15 years, its profit is dwendling, due to the economic recession. Peopleare reading, but not buying many issues. The magazine was threatened to be closed until another press decided to buy it, to keep the Realms of Fantsay going.

a href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjsUsHx52-d2UXKlZnN1tZHrEl94KqrUb61DnXNJEnjW4RS7RO2XorfqCT2lDjaMM93-XZusiysjkxQ2Gy0j1rfpa02pnWyvEOFdsHOx3Xy07FxbZ1rqJlthq_H-REikoUEDZ8JfFAQ6Ug/s1600-h/fertile_source.jpg">
"The Fertile Source" is an e-zine magazine for women sharing their experiences of pregnancy, birth, struggles with fertility, and also art that reflects these issues (poetry,stories,drawings).This is such an amazing idea since women usually share fertility concerns amongst each other, but now they have a chance on a wider scale. The Fertile Source is an example of how editors use fresh ideas not usually expressed, to hook readers. So much time, money, sweat and blood goes into these magazines. Editors have to find ways to get young and old audience to read the material. You have to socialize with people of different backgrounds and cultures.

I have decided that when I graduate I want to create my own online magazine. But I'm worried since ideas are being used for many magazines. There's a chance that my magazine could fail, if I don't have a effective business plan. I am looking at different magazine websites, and reading books on online publishing, so I can prepare myself. My goal is to have a magazine that offers something than just reading material, but a chance for my readers to participate through writing and artwork; while sharing my own work.


(Images from http://www.realmsoffantasymag.com and http://www.thefertilesource.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment